I have been making chai from scratch lately. The process is fairly involved (this is not your ordinary dunk-a-bag-into-a-cup brew), but the result is delicious. This recipe is also just how I like my tea- with milk and sweetener.
3 cups water
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ground cardamom (or 16 pods)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp anise seeds
16 whole cloves
1 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup honey
6 tsp Darjeeling Tea leaves
1 Tbs vanilla extract
cinnamon sticks for each mug
1. Place water, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, anise and cloves in a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Cover, put on low heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add milk and honey, and bring to a simmer.
4. Next, add tea leaves, vanilla and remove heat and cover for about 3 minutes.
5. Strain, and pour into mugs with a cinnamon stick.